Many of you ask to us, what can I do to save energy at home? What can I do to lower my bills at the end of the month?
Here you have some tips to get it:
To reduce water consumption
- Leave the taps open only during the time you need them
- Reduce the amount of water discharges from toilets – if your toilet does not have dual flush you can put in your tank water a bottle of watter
- Showering instead of bathing
- Place water meters in conspicuous places at the house, the awareness makes you close the taps without realizing
- Washer and dishwasher efficient, do full loads when you use
- Check that your water system has no failure and is losing water
To reduce electricity consumption:
- Energy- efficient appliances with certification A + + +
- When your bulbs finish you can replace them with LED energy efficient lighting . It is not worth changing all led lights if they still work. The investment takes a long time amortized with a domestic use
- Place disconnects for the electrical circuits when not in use . Be careful not to disconnect the fridge! During the nights it is also healthy for us because they prevent electromagnetic fields
- Failure Disconnects place , installing a visible counter will allow us to check before leaving home or at night we have nothing connected
- Sunlight whenever possible , it’s healthier
- The installation of photovoltaic solar panels allows you to save electricity and will be using renewable energy sources but current laws are not benefiting. If you are disconnected to the electrical grid you will need many solar photovoltaic panels , so your investment will be big and your power will not be enough to have all appliances turned on at once. In the other side, if you connect you will have to pay a tax and selling the energy you produce to the net and buy it more expensive. Now there are different movements against this legislation as www.desobedienciasolar.com
Besides saving energy at home and reduce our consumption and therefore our bills, we are also contributing to a responsible and sustainable use of resources.
These practices serve for existing homes, in new homes lots and lots of solutions can be apply, as many as we want to make a self-sufficient house.
To not do this post very long, saving energy in the hot water and heating will be explain in the next one.
Thank you very much for reading!